Ok, so I want you to take an oath: ” I swear to accessorize, take time to accessorize , and keep my accessories up to date, so help me God.”
I really believe that the most important part of your outfit is its accessories. That is the one part of my closet that is consistently changing, no matter how broke I am. It is the FIRST step to expanding your wardrobe. I can wear the same basic outfit but change the necklace, scarf, bracelets, shoes, etc. and people think I have created a whole new outfit! I’m telling you accessories are magic!!! They are the fine line between being fashionable and not fashionable. Think about it…if this is your normal look: little black dress with matching black shoes (because your too scared to not match) and maybe a simple silver necklace (you know you are safe because silver goes with black) people will not even think twice about what you’re wearing, and to be honest, neither will you. Try this: same simple black dress but find a funky colorful necklace, a great pair of boots, chunky bangles (aka bracelets, for the fashion illiterate), and a great shoulder purse…and there you go…people all of a sudden think you are a fashionista, and will be asking YOU for advice!! It is such a simple concept. Ok, another one: SAME black dress, black tights, a cute pair of bold colorful heals, chandelier or hoop earrings and bracelets that all go together, and a fabulous clutch… and you’re a genius!! Just wait for the oooohhhhhs and aaaahhhhhs!! The possibilities are endless with accessories!
“How do I know it will go? What if I look like a clown?” you ask. Ok, I’m going to give you some cheating tips. We all know in elementary school they teach you primary colors, secondary colors, blah, blah, blah. They teach you colors that go together and all that. And you have eyes right? It’s simple, things don’t have to match perfectly, the colors just have to go together. You can wear purple shoes with a yellow clutch…it makes sense right? You can wear light blue bracelets with dark blue ones, and then gold earrings! Please tell me you are kind of getting it. If you really have to I’ll allow you to grab a color wheel! Fashion is all about taking chances and experimenting! You will not always make the right choices when you are trying to be fashionable. I have looked back to many occasions and thought what the hell were you thinking? But to be honest, that’s the fun of it!
So here is your shopping list:
- Necklaces (Big, small, chunky, colorful, black, whatever!!! Just a good variety.)
- Bracelets and Bangles (Same deal, various colors and sizes, bracelets you can stack and wear all at once when you are feeling really risque!)
- Earrings (Fun, flavorful, and fabulous!! Please don’t buy anything boring.)
- Scarves (People don’t give scarves enough credit. They make such a statement. I mean, who wouldn’t want to cuddle with a snow bunny!)
- Shoes, shoes, shoes! (ok, you don’t have to go crazy at first, after all this will probably be your most expensive accessory to collect, but PLEASE, make sure you are buying a variety…it’s so easy to get caught up just buying black or brown because it’s safe. There are plenty of great inexpensive shoe brands out there you just have to look!)
- One main purse and a few great versatile clutches
- Above are the basics…once you have a good foundation on these you can get into rings, tights, phone covers ;), headbands, sunglasses, hair accessories, the list goes on and ooooooooonnnnn!!!
I’m not telling you to go out and spend a fortune! Start off slow, pace your self sista, do yourself some good and don’t empty those bank accounts just yet! Keeping up to date on accessories is so simple and so inexpensive these days with stores like Forever 21, H&M, Charlotte Russe, that are just flooding with fun accessories! They are basically giving it to you with the prices they put on their tags. And don’t even get me started on the WEB!!! Endless ways you can keep up for only a few $$ out of your pocket! It’s ridiculous! But don’t think these things are going to magically appear on your doorstep…you have to do your research. Search the web, start at www.girlprops.com, or ebay, or even Jewelry at HSN! Grab a copy of PEOPLE STYLE WATCH, they really help guide you into the newest trends! They also give you great sites that help you find the newest hottest things for inexpensive!
SO, my dear friend…looks like you have some homework to do…if you find anything out there feel free to comment and share!
I will leave you with words from one of the greatest designers out there and a fabulous hero of mine, Diane Von Furstenberg, [accessories are other] “friends you can carry with you and they make you feel better.” So grab those friends and accessorize damn it!